Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 9: Reading Dairy - Native American Heroes Tales unit





The Jealous Uncle & The Jealous uncle (Continu) – This story about unnatural and the boys reminds me of Moses and the pharaoh because this uncle killed all his male nephews as the pharaoh had ordered to the people of his land. I think it is sad that the uncle still wanted to kill his nephew knowing that he bought him back some wood. I also think it is quite stupid of the boy to trust his uncle knowing that he killed his brother before him. I think it is pretty awesome that he stumbled upon the eagle people and their ability to turn into eagles and humans. I am glad he got revenge for his parents after the cruelty of his uncle.


Bluejay and His Companions – I think that Bluejay is a very bad a selfish friend – poor Grouse. I think that there are a lot of cunning characters in this book. I think Bluejay had a good set of companions they were victorious in every challenge they had to face. Bluejay even lied to his companions about having tamanous to give to them. In the end they learnt their lesson giving grouse the fattest seal.


Dug- From- Ground – this is a classic example of doing the things we aren’t supposed to. What is it that they say “curiosity killed the cat.” I think that it is sad that his mother will not look at him. When thy boy grew up he grew up to be a very fine and strong young man.


The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle & (contin) – This story reminds me of some of the Greek myths. I think that is creative that jonayaiyin and the animals can communicate. And why is it that all the animals wants the Elk dead also? I like how they used the ploughing of the Elk to portray how the mountains today were formed. It was kind of jonayaiyin not killing the eaglets but he killed the mother which is quite sad. It was quite unfair for the bat to lose her feathers after she helped Jonayaiyin.

         (Elk. Source : The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle By Jicarilla Apache, 1929)

Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away – How could red woman be so evil in killing a woman and taking out her babies. I am glad to know that the two twin boys are alive. The fact that one of the twin boys lives in the springs and has sharp teeth like otters show that he had adapted to his living conditions, sort of like the jungle book or the boy that grew up with the wolves. I was glad to read that the mother was bought back to life. Thrown in the springs and Thrown-behind the curtain are to brave boys, as children they always do what their father tells them not to. I guess the boys grew up to be heroes.


The Son-in-Law Tests – This was a really loyal wife as she made sure to protect her husband from Wemicus because he had killed all her other husbands. I didn't really enjoy this story.


The Jealous Father – Aioswe is a crazy character I think by actually thinking that his son was intimate with one of his wives just because he had seen some marks on her. Aioswe’s son is very selfish as Walrus is just trying to help him but in order for the son to reach his goal he is lying to him about everything in fear that he may be deserted. As a result Walrus died because Aioswe sent lightening to strike him. He was actually very clever making the witches that were sent to kill him to kill each other. He got revenge on his father and he and his mother lived happily ever after. I think this is one of the nicest stories so far in this unit.



Dirty Boy – I like the concept of sun and star coming down to earth and pretending to be humans. I also like the fact the grandmother (star) was rooting for her grandson as he was the one that shot the eagle not wolf. Even though dirty-boy/ Sun was sick and not good looking the younger sister still went and agreed to marry him and in return she got a handsome prince.






Source :Native American Heroes Tales Unit

Bibliography : Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

No comments:

Post a Comment