Thursday, October 23, 2014

Week 10 Essay - ASSESSES STORY



In this week’s reading, I decided to read American Indian tales. I really enjoyed reading the stories in this unit, as I felt a sense of the Indian culture. Living here in Oklahoma, the Indian heritage is very much valued. And to read some of their mythological stories was somewhat interesting.

For this week, I pretty much enjoyed reading almost all of the stories. However, a few stood out to me the most. As you already know by now, for this week’s story telling assignment I decided to retell the story about The son of the evening star. To me this story reminded me a lot of our modern day beauty and the beast. Bell fell in love with the beast despite his odd and ugly appearance, as did Owenee with Osseo. She, unlike her other sisters decided to pick whom she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. She didn’t just settle for the most handsome, strongest; or richest young man. Whilst reading this story, when Osseo finally became beautiful (as granted from his father the evening star), Owenee lost her beauty. It made me think that did he consume all her beauty or was it just a test of their love? I think that it was a test as he stayed with her even when she wasn’t beautiful anymore. And as a reward, they were both given beauty, and all those that were not kind to them became birds and other creatures.

I also enjoyed reading about Lagoo, I think that he was a very wise man. As I would picture most of the native Indians to be at that time.



Collectively, I think that this was a very good reading unit, and I  would recommend it to future students. I think that there was enough information provided about the unit. I also enjoyed the fact that it was not a confusing unit and all the stories were being told by Lagoo. It really helped give the readers a good use of their imagination.




No comments:

Post a Comment