Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 12- Reading Diary : Nursery Rhymes



Nursery Rhymes: Tales - The nursery rhyme about the babies in the wood was sad. Thank goodness for the robin. Who gave them the strawberries. I like how singing in this unit is used to symbolize happiness.

The crooked man. Everything in this nursery rhyme is crooked. I guess that’s why the probably all got to live happily ever after.

I don’t understand how tom was beat when he stole the pig. I ccouldn'tunderstand why he went roaring down the street.

I enjoyed reading the rhyme about the man with the gun. That shot the duck. I like the repetition in that poem.

My favorite so far in this book of rhyme. Is the nursery rhyme about jack and the goose. I like that he became friends with the goose and in return the goose laid him a golden egg. It’s sad that the Jew cheated him of his golden egg.


Nursery Rhymes: Proverbs - I like the riddle of if wishes were hours. I would never had guessed that it was referring to the hours of sleep. I thought that this was very clever.

I don’t agree with the rhyme about the needles and pin. When a man marries his troubles begins. I thought it was quite funny. But I think that this is true for both husband and wife. The troubles can go both ways.

I liked the rhyme about sneezing. Each day in the week you sneezed, meant you had to do something. It reminds me of something you would get in a text message.

Nursery Rhymes: Songs, Part 1 - The fox in this rhyme is cunning. As he picked the farmers bones and the goose on his farm. The farmer let him stay out of good gesture. But in return he killed his goose. I don’t think the farmer should have gone after the fox. As he deceived the farmer again.

It is strange to me that, Johnny the boy was given a blue ribbon to tie his hair. I thought that that was something you would do on little girl’s hair. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think that Elsie Marley, Is a good example of a lazy person. Someone who is self-centered, and only cares about how beautiful she has become.

London Bridge is falling down – this is not the rhyme that I was brought up to now. As this has its own characters and twist to it.

Nursery Rhymes: Songs, Part 2 – I thought the idea of brandy in a spoon was rather interesting.

My wife tells me that, hot cross bun is a traditional English bon. With a cross on it literally. It is often ate during, Easter.

I have been to Piccadilly a time or two. I have also been to Bristol. So to see rhyme written about these places is interesting.

I liked the rhyme of the queen of hearts. I felt like it really flowed. I felt that It was a lot more easier to understand than the some of the other rhymes. And it told a story.

Nursery Rhymes: Riddles - I liked reading the riddles in this chapter. A lot of them I tried to guess but they were actually quite hard. I think that they were very well put together in having the readers guessing.

My favorites were “LONG legs, crooked thighs,
Little head, and no eyes”. [Pair of tongs.]. I would have never guess that.

And….

FORMED long ago, yet made to-day,
Employed while others sleep;
What few would like to give away,
Nor any wish to keep.

[A Bed.]


Nursery Rhymes: Paradoxes - I liked the riddle song. As when she went on to list all the things her true love got her. There was questions asked of i.e. how could she have a goose without a bone, or a bible no man can read. And I also liked how clever the answers were.

Nursery Rhymes: Charms and Lullabies - The Peter Piper rhyme, reminds me of being in elementary school. We called them tongue twister. We all tried to say it the fastest. I enjoyed going back and reading these nursery rhymes. It really reminded me of growing up as a child. Or hearing these lullabies in school or in cartoons.

Nursery Rhymes: Games* - I like how the men in this rhyme thought that the hedgehog was a pin cushion with the pins stuck in the wrong way. I thought that was quite funny.

My wife is from London. And so when I read her the rhyme about oranges and lemons. She sang me the rhyme and she told me how they used to sing it in the playground whilst jumping rope.


Nursery Rhymes: Jingles - I liked the jingle about rub-a-dub-dub, with the three men in the tub. I’ve always heard it but I never knew who the three men were until today.

Nursery Rhymes: Love and Matrimony - I am not familiar with these rhymes. Except for Jack and Jill. However, what I did find quite interesting was the description of London, given by the man who went to look for wife. Because it is it small, and has narrow roads today.

Nursery Rhymes: Natural History, Part 1 &  Part 2 - I liked the rhyme about the pussy cat and the mouse. I thought it was quite funny that the mouse went all the way to London to see the queen. Then to scare a mouse under her chair. And also Ba Ba Black sheep. Although I felt that it was told a little different to how it is sang.

Nursery Rhymes: Accumulative Stories – I liked the one about the keys of the kingdom. And how in everything there is something else. However, I did not understand what c & c meant at the end. I thought that we were going to actually find something in the end.


Nursery Rhymes: Relics – I remember the rhyme about little Miss Muffet. And the one about the rain. The rest was interesting to read about.

Link: Nursery Rhymes Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment