Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Week 11: story telling - Tom Tit Tot





Once upon a time, in a land far away. There lived a girl named Madison. Madison lived with her mother. Madison and her mother lived in a village and couldn't afford much.

One day Madison’s mother made five pieces of pies. However, they were not soft enough once they were baked. So her mother told her to let them set out a little so they may soften. Madison, didn’t allow for them to sit and soften. So, instead she ate them all.

It was tea time, and Madison’s mother wanted to have a bit to have with her tea. “Can you fetch me a piece of pie,” said Madison’s mother.

“No mother, they haven’t been sitting out long enough” replied Madison, “they aren’t yet soft.”
“Soft or not soft, I’ll have one to go with my tea now,” ordered her mother.
“You can’t have any,” said Madison nervously.
“And why not?” asked her mother.
“I ate them all,” answered Madison.
And so all afternoon Madisons mother sang.

'My darter ha' ate five, five pies today.

The king was riding by and heard her singing. “Good God, What on earth are you singing,” asked the king.
Madinso
ns mother hesitated. She didn’t want the king to know her daughter ate all those pies.
“Ah, I was singing my daughter spun five skeins”
“Well, that’s great,” said the king excitedly.” I shall marry her at once, so she may spin for me”
Madison’s mother was thrilled to hear this. This was grand gesture. And so she married her daughter off to the king.

For eleven months in the year Madison had everything she could ever want. But, for the twelfth month she had to spin five skeins every day. Madison wasn’t able to do this. She didn’t know the first thing about spinning. When the twelfth month came, she didn’t know what to do. A little black figure appeared at her window. It had promised her that he will help her. However, she had only three attempts to guess his name correct. If she didn’t he would get to keep her. And so she made a deal with him.

Every night, he would come and say, “Well what’s my name?”
“Gregory.” She guessed.

“No,” replied the black creature. “You have only one attempt left.”

One night the king came to see his wife. While she was pretending to spin.
“I saw the strangest little black creature in the forest, this afternoon. He was also spinning and singing TOM, TIT, TOT is my name” said the king.

Madison was thrilled. And so she waited for the creature to come see her one more time.
“So, have you figured out my name?” asked the creature.
“Tom, Tit, Tot, is you name” she said happily.
So, the black creature went away. And she was never to see him again.


Author’s note: I picked this story because I enjoyed it the most. I thought that it was very funny. I kept the plot the same as the original. But decided to take something’s out to shorten the story,



The Black Creature

Link : Tom Tit Tot

3 comments:

  1. This was really interesting! It definitely reminded me of Rumplestiltskin, except that this girl makes a deal to give herself up rather than her daughter if she can’t figure out the imp’s name. It was pretty funny that her husband ends up randomly finding out the imp’s name and tells it to her, without ever realizing that she even needed it in the first place. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great story! Very interesting! Madison got very lucky at the end when she guessed the creatures name. What kind of name is "Tom, Tit, Tot!" Haha. Your story reminded me of Rumplestiltskin. Is that where you got your story from? Or is there a different story that I may not have heard before? I'm just curios to know, I haven't read unit you chose this week .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cool take on what appears to be the story of Rumplestiltskin. I liked how the beginning was so different because I didn't even make the association between the stories until later on. I liked how you wrote the character's dialogue in dialect. It made the story even more believable. But I was confused when Madison got Tom Tit Tot's name right because he just disappeared and didn't help her spin the skeins.

    ReplyDelete