Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 9: Essay - Assesses Reading Unit.


For this week’s reading unit I decided to read Native American heroes tales unit. Overall, I thought that this was a really good reading unit and I enjoyed reading about the different American Mythology. Being someone that prefers realistic story lines, I felt that this unit had a lot of that as well as the little imagination and adventure where needed.  The stories in this unit were a lot different to the ones I read in previous weeks. As the class progresses I have come to know that each genre or culture have different ways of telling mythical stories. Therefore, reading a diversity of stories from different parts of the world has definitely been an eye opener. One thing that I thought was really helpful reading this unit, was the fact that it didn’t have too many stories but rather a few stories that were short and sweet.

In this week’s story telling assignment I decided to write about my favorite story in the unit – Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away. This story stood out to me the most as I liked the fact that the twin boys weren’t dead and that they went on to grow up in two completely different places. But in the end they found each other and were reunited as a family. I also enjoyed the fact that whenever they were warned by their father not to do something. They would still go and do it but made sure they conquered every obstacle. To me this story showed their brotherhood and closeness and it reminded me a lot of my childhood growing up with my brothers and sisters.
I also enjoyed reading about the jealous uncle. I felt that this story reminded me a lot of the time of Moses and the Pharaoh. When the pharaoh wanted rid of all the boys that were born in Egypt but Moses being the only one to survive.
My least favorite was The Son-In-Law-Tests. I can’t really pinpoint why I did not enjoy this story. But it was definitely the least appealing. I didn’t quite understand the concept as to why the father did not want his daughter to be happily married. Overall, I thought that this was a very enjoyable reading unit.


                                        

                                                       (Grouse. One of the characters in the Bluejay and his companions story)

Link: Native American Hero Tales Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment