Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week 7- Story Telling: The Monkey With No Heart

Far far away somewhere in the continent of Africa lived there lived a monkey named Monkey. Every day at sun rise he would arise from his resting place and hang from tree to tree picking all the yummiest and most ripest tropical fruits. Until one day whilst eating a guava fruit he heard someone say “Hey, Good morning my friend”. 
“Who is that” said Monkey observing his surroundings. 
“Down here, it’s me” replied the voice, coming from the swishing waves. Monkey looked down and there was a shark peering his head from the ocean“Care to share some of that fruit with an old friend from the ocean” said the shark. 
“Sure, which kind would you like” said the monkey enthusiastically. 
“I guess I will have whatever it is you have to offer. If only we could have a variety like this from the ocean” Explained the Shark. 
So Monkey picked off plenty of fruits from the trees feeding the sharkSurprisingly there was still many more to last them for days.  The Shark filled up his stomach till he was content “ same time tomorrow” He shouted, swimming off. 

Every morning Monkey and shark would meet up at the same spot to have breakfast together. As time went on they grew a friendship closer than no other. Until one day during breakfast monkey asked “ I wonder what lies in the ocean. Oh how I would love to explore it” 
“ It’s nothing but water, creatures of the sea and large mountains. I can take you on a ride if you like” said the shark. 
“Well no. If ever I got wet I would become ever so sick” said the monkey disappointed. 
“Well no, you may ride on my back and explore the wonders of the sea” said the  shark. 
“Ghee, you are ever so kind” said the monkey.

So the monkey jumped on the Sharks back and they both set off on a what was supposed to be a great adventure. As they went on the shark had told the monkey that there was a sultan from his village that was ill and the only cure would be a monkeys heart. This remained uneasy with the monkey and so he had to conjure up a plan. 
“My dear friend, I would be more than happy to give the sultan my heart. However when monkeys leave their homes it is a must that we hang our hearts above our homes” 
“Oh dear” said the shark “ I was hoping maybe I could be rewarded with all the tropical fruits Africa has to offer if I bring a monkeys heart to the sultan 
“You must take me back home at once, so we may get you your reward” said Monkey. And so they set off back in the ocean returning Monkey to his home. Days had passed and the shark would return hoping monkey would give him the heart, but instead shark was never to see Monkey again. 

(The Heart of a monkey)

Authors Note: I really enjoyed this story. I kept the plot of the story the same as the original story as it was my favorite in this week’s reading. The original story is also about a shark and monkey who become friends and they end up sharing breakfast every morning. One day the monkey and shark set off in a journey at sea when the shark informs him of a sultan that needs a monkey’s heart. The monkey therefore then tricks the shark into taking him back by saying he left his heart at home. But then he goes on to tell the shark about the story of the donkey that had no heart. I did however make a few changes.

Bibliography: The Lilac Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1910).

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a little weird, but interesting that sharks and monkeys can be within this same realm, geographically, but there's no reason to analyze stories with talking animals so thoroughly. Regardless, I enjoyed this story a lot and was glad to get the chance to read it. I hope I get to read more stories like this throughout the semester. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an interesting story! A monkey and a shark becoming friends is so uncommon, but makes for a really different plot line. Monkeys are known for being clever so it's good that that quality really showed. I think you did a great job of retelling the story, it was very fun and entertaining to read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that story was interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a story before that is about a friendship between a monkey and a shark. I was expecting the shark to eat the monkey when he jumped into the ocean, but was very glad when that didn't happen. I liked that you talked about the monkey trying to think of a way to trick the shark. The story about the heart being left at home to trick the shark was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete