Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 6: Essay - ASSESS THE READING UNIT



This week I chose to read Japanese Mythology unit. Before this class I was not familiar with reading mythology. I more so enjoyed watching mythology based stories. Reading it is somewhat different. As mentioned in my previous blog post, I am not in any way familiar with Japanese mythology. So I thought it would be worth trying something different and new.I thought that this unit was quite interesting. I really enjoy reading units that consist of a collection of short stories as this one did. I think it helps keep focus and it does not drag on.

My favorite story in this unit was Uraschimataro and the Turtle. The reason for this is because it seemed the most like a fairy tale as he went to an enchanted world under the ocean. A world that he had never seen before. 


When reading this story, I hoped that it would go back and forth in informing the readers of the emotions his parents were going through when he didn't return home. I couldn't imagine being gone for as long as he was then coming back to a place that was no longer familiar.

I also very much enjoyed reading the cat and the elopement. As mentioned in my reading diary it really reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. As both cats were under different ownership which came in the way of their love. My least favorite was the sparrow with the slit tongue. It really didn't interest me at all. The only downside of this unit is that: When reading it you are not given a sense of what each chapter is about (as shown in some of the other reading units). So whether or not you will find interest in it you won’t know until you actually get through one of the stories.

Overall, I think this was a very interesting unit to read. I think it was an easy and fun read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys mythology or reading as a whole.




                                                                                                                                                                

Link: Japanese Fairy tale (Lang)
(Image above showing Uraschimataro and the turtle) 

1 comment:

  1. We read the same thing so it's fun to see your reaction to it. Re-writing Uraschimataro from both his perspective and his parent's would have been awesome! I was wanting to read that too. I think it would have been pretty sad, though! I think my least favorite story was the one about the treasure-finding dog. It was great, but it just made me so sad to read about that stupid neighbor of theirs. :(

    ReplyDelete