Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 5 : Essay

My thoughts on this week’s reading: At first when I chose this reading unit I thought I was in for the Disney fairy tale of Aladdin as that is the information provided in the weekly reading units table. But obviously I was wrong. To be honest I am actually quite happy that it was not a re write of the Disney version as it would not have been that interesting in terms of catching my attention.
Instead this unit kept the concept of the genie but in a much different light in comparison to the Disney story. One thing that really caught my attention was the way in which the unit is a collection of different story tellers telling a story and each chapter in the story is the narration of the person telling the story in the previous story that you read. So it was really a story inside a story. Which was a very smart choice in terms of captivating the readers.
Another thing that I also thoroughly enjoyed about this unit as I have mentioned above, was that yes there was still the concept of the genie. But each time we were introduced to the genie it was in a different story, and in a different sitting other than the lamp in the original Disney story. I think my choice was a very good one in terms of how it fits in with my blog so far, as I also chose a Middle Eastern unit in the week before. Therefore giving my blog a uniform feel.
I think the information provided in this unit is very clear cut and it does help paint a picture of each chapter before you go on to reading the chapter. Which in my case, sparked a greater interest into wanting to read the detailed story.


(Scheherazade)

Link: Arabian Nights

No comments:

Post a Comment