Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Favorite Places.


I have chosen London,UK and Seattle, WA as my two favorite places, not because they are exotic locations with sun, sea, and sand but because of the sentimental value they have to me. These two places couldn't be so similar yet so different at the same time.  In the sense that both are very rainy cities but the culture and lifestyle couldn't be more different.

London - I've visited London three times in the past four years not only for the love I have for the city but because I found true love in this city. To be honest it is a small, condensed, over populated city but within it lies centuries and centuries of ancient history. The British culture is rather interesting very different to what I am used to here in america.  London beauty comes out at night (as displayed in the picture below). It is the perfect place to just go for a stroll at night along the embankment of the river Thames. This was my wife and I's favorite thing to do after a night of dinner and a movie.




London Eye Twilight April 2006, Photographer (unknown), Source Wikipedia.



London:Big Ben, phone box and the house of parliament, Photographer :wiki+spam@eindruckschinderdomain.de (2006) Source: Wikipedia

Seattle, WA - This is the place that I was raised, the place where I learned everything I know today. the landscape of this city is breath taking. With the view of Mount Rainier  down the hill from omy mothers house. It is almost very mountainous with all the hills, and not to forget the pacific ocean on alki beach where we would sit and have family picnics, go for a swim, or start a bonfire. Seattle is everything you see in the picture below -Nature meets city. 



Downtown Seattle from Queen Anne Hill, Photographer Hedwig (2007) Source Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, Abdirahman! I am a big fan of London and of Seattle too - and you are right: both rainy, but so different. And growing up in Seattle: you are so lucky; that must have been wonderful! In the readings for this class, there is a whole unit on Native American legends from Washington and Oregon; maybe you will want to explore those legends... there are some fabulous stories in there!
    Myths and Legends of the Pacific Northwest, especially of Washington and Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Laura, I will be sure to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to either of these places but I would like to visit them one day. I am very intrigued by the Space Needle. I would love to be able to visit it. I have also done projects where I had to research information on the Space Needle. London on the other hand I do not know much about but I would still like to visit there at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete